Search for atmospheres
on the eve of the winter solstice
strange town on a river
You dock at a trading town in the center of the Northern river, Oar's Rest, and the first thing you notice are the lights. They take the form of orange beacons strung over every wooden street, candles placed in every window, and dozens of lanterns gathered at the town’s edge, each of them giving off the distinctive scent of beeswax.
As you move through the town, you notice clusters of people huddled together for warmth, adorned in little more than rags. People of all ages chatter amongst themselves, and despite the bitter cold of the unforgiving night, they excitedly exchange small gifts with each other—blankets, shoes, scraps of food. Whether the rosiness of their cheeks is predominately from their joy or the cold, you cannot tell.
But it seems too perfect. Over a hundred people, and each one is beaming, despite their obvious poverty. There are so many candles you feel as if they're sucking up all the oxygen, and out of the corner of your eye, you swear you just saw a group of people with black hoods covering their faces.
Are you just being paranoid, or is there really something strange afoot? Only time will tell.
Comments for "strange town on a river"
License details for "strange town on a river"
Creative Commons Sampling Plus 1.0 License.
List of audio files used:
- stream 1 Lundby by Agnese Priekule +)
- River and people ambience by alesonica from http://freesound.org +)
- wooden boat row water by bulbastre from freesound.org +)
- Chatting Crowd by Leandros.Ntounis from http://freesound.org +)
- A Medieval Christmas by LuteLessons +)
- Footsteps on dock by mmaruska from http://freesound.org +)
- Creaking Leather by n-audioman via http://freesound.org +)
- Cough by owlstorm from http://freesound.org +)